Mother Teaches Her Daughter To Be Wary of “Artificial” Beauty -Video
We’ve all seen the “perfect beauty” of the women that grace magazines and advertisements on a regular basis.
Many of these images – elevated as an example of ideal beauty – have actually been enhanced through the magic of PhotoShop software.
Laura Willard, blogger and mother of two, wanted her beautiful daughter to truly understand that what she sees in magazines and ads isn’t always realistic when it comes to what is touted as the standard of beauty for women.
Through the use of a time lapsed video originally created by Global Democracy.com, she was able to demonstrate just how beauty is manipulated. Laura shared that she “…wants her daughter to see this video and I want her to see many like it because it makes it apparent how unrealistic, [our standards of beauty] are.”
We are constantly bombarded with what beauty is supposed to be – super skinny women with flawless skin and straight hair. This video is a reminder of how important it is for us to embrace our natural beauty. We must teach our children; our nieces and nephews, and our grandchildren to appreciate their unique beauty.
It’s up to the adults in their lives to help them to understand that they can’t believe the standards of beauty hype that is constantly served up on a silver platter through mainstream advertising, movies and television.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Video: 3-Year-Old Encourages Dad While He Does Her Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Commentary from Around the World: Out of the Mouths of Babes: One Young Girl’s View on Natural Hair
- What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- Meet Anya: A Little Naturalista Who Loves Her Hair (Pictures)
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
Thank you so much for sharing and helping to spread the awareness! I want my daughter to understand and truly believe what it took me years to accept. Women deserve better – we deserve to be happy with ourselves the way we are.
Thank you for sharing your story! I think that it is a story that resonates for sure. I agree; it’s important that we appreciate who we are.