Video: ‘Can I Touch Your Hair’ – The Endless Fascination With Black People’s Hair
Ethnic black hair. It’s the subject of books, blogs, podcasts, online forums – and videos.
There is endless fascination with how black people’s hair feels; how we make it straight, curly, kinky? How do we braid, loc, twist? Hell, we have our own fascination with our hair – and why not? It’s beautiful!
Antonia Opiah, Founder of Un-Ruly.com, discusses her recent exhibit in New York which gave visitors an opportunity to touch ethnic black hair in its locked, natural, relaxed, and braided state.The exhibit was an extension of an article featured on the Huffington Post called “Can I Touch Your Hair”. Antonia, whose hair appears to be relaxed, describes frequently being asked if “I can touch your hair”. When she explored this phenomenon with other black women, she found that they had similar experiences which spawned the exhibit.
Watch the video for the full discussion.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- Do You Find the Term “Nappy Hair” Offensive?
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Pastor Says No To Hair Weaves In His Church
- Video: Tracee Ellis Ross Shares How She Has Learned To Love The Natural Hair She Used To Hate
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College