Video: ‘Can I Touch Your Hair’ – The Endless Fascination With Black People’s Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Ethnic black hair. It’s the subject of books, blogs, podcasts, online forums – and videos.
There is endless fascination with how black people’s hair feels; how we make it straight, curly, kinky? How do we braid, loc, twist? Hell, we have our own fascination with our hair – and why not? It’s beautiful!
Antonia Opiah, Founder of Un-Ruly.com, discusses her recent exhibit in New York which gave visitors an opportunity to touch ethnic black hair in its locked, natural, relaxed, and braided state.The exhibit was an extension of an article featured on the Huffington Post called “Can I Touch Your Hair”. Antonia, whose hair appears to be relaxed, describes frequently being asked if “I can touch your hair”. When she explored this phenomenon with other black women, she found that they had similar experiences which spawned the exhibit.
Watch the video for the full discussion.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Video: Natural Hairstyle Evolution Over The Last 100 Years
- Do You Find the Term “Nappy Hair” Offensive?
- NHCN Podcast 005: Embracing Our Own Standard of Natural Beauty
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- Video: Tracee Ellis Ross Shares How She Has Learned To Love The Natural Hair She Used To Hate
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 0017: The Natural Hair and the Latino Perspective With Carolina Contreras of Miss Rizos.com
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question