The Trend Towards Natural Hair Goes A Lot Deeper Than The Need To Be Free From Relaxers
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Someone new to the topic of natural hair might read dozens of natural hair blogs, peruse social media and watch videos on the topic and think that the movement towards wearing one’s hair natural – without the accoutrements of relaxers and flat irons – is all about changing one’s hairstyle; period. What’s all of the excitement about? It’s just hair.
But they’d be missing the crux; the underlying reason behind why black women are shunning relaxers and other hair straightening tools in droves and choosing to embrace our natural hair. There is a lot of history behind our hair.
Yes, women do want freedom from…
- The dependency on relaxers
- Hair and scalp damage
- Temporary and permanent hair loss
- Spending hours at a salon
We also want to…
- Walk in the rain without a care in the world!
- Enjoy physical activity without worrying about “sweating out our expensive perm”
- Spend our earned earn dollars on anything else but our hair.
- Preserve our bodies from damaging chemicals and reclaim our health.
These are all very legitimate and worthwhile reasons to sans the relaxer; but it still doesn’t get at the depth of the emotions that influence women to accept and embrace their natural hair texture.
For some of us, it’s really just not that deep. It’s a hairstyle, period. But, for many women are embracing the trend towards natural hair because…
We are proud of who we are as a people. We are choosing to grab hold of our identity and our pride in our culture by making a conscious choice to celebrate our innate beauty and not alter our appearance.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- 4 Topics That Unnerve and Divide The Natural Hair Community
- Acting Naturally: A Personal Journey
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Does Natural Hair Make You More Black?
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- OK Ladies Now Let’s Get “In FORMATION”
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question