Shedding: “I Am Not My Hair”
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
That is how the dictionary defines it.
There are various ways in which we can reference this word. One can shed a tear, unwanted pounds, clothing… and then there is hair.
Even the person with the healthiest head of hair can’t avoid the “natural” process of shedding.
For my sister, and Natural Haircare News co-founder, Dianne, the process of shedding hair has taken on a whole new meaning as she gets Chemotherapy as a followup precaution to her recent lumpectomy after being diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
For my sister, and others like her, thank goodness the Big C no longer has to be a death sentence. And our family is truly grateful that her diagnosis was early and her procedure was a success.
Now the next phase of the healing journey begins.
As we all (although we can never truly experience what she’s going through physically and emotionally) go through this journey, I want my sister to know I hold the light for her always, and most certainly at times, when perhaps she feels she cannot. Even the strongest of us, and she is strong, have moments of frustration, doubts and fears.
So, in celebration of my sister, and all of us who need a reminder every now and then, for her consistently positive energy. For her faith and courage as she sheds; tears, pounds and unwanted clothing (as a result of those shed pounds), and of course her hair due to Chemo, I reach to one of my favorite artists, India Arie, who’s hair anthem says it all.
“I am not my hair” featuring Akon.
Love you big sis. You got this!
Whether due to health reasons or not, how do you deal with (or celebrate) the ongoing changes of your natural hair journey?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- “I Have a Nice Interesting Grade of Hair”: Do Celebrity Comments Reinforce The Good Hair, Bad Hair Divide? [Video]
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here