Do You Find the Term “Nappy Hair” Offensive?
We recently posed the following question to our 900+ Natural Hair Facebook community:
Click on the comments bubble to read responses
We got some interesting responses, but not the responses that we had first expected… Most people were not offended by the term “nappy” when describing their natural hair.
A lot has changed over the last several years.
I can remember as a child that telling someone that they had “nappy” hair was like saying a dirty word; one that cut to the very heart of a black woman’s perception of her beauty and self-esteem.
We know that there is a history behind why a five letter word has so much power. The pressure to conform to European standards of beauty was deep-rooted. But based on many of the responses, we’ve come a long way since the 1970’s.
We decided to poll our Natural Haircare News visitors who may not be on Facebook. What do you think? Is the word “nappy” an offensive word to you?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Nappy Hair – The Other “N” Word?
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- Seriously…We Are Still Hating On Gabby Douglas’ Hair in 2016?
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College